As part of our Earth Day 2010 Contest, Mary (from our Mom-to-Be category) shares her thoughts on what her choice to cloth diaper means:
My partner and I decided to use cloth diapers before we had any idea what that meant. Before looking into it, the barriers were:
- the initial cost of getting set up for cloth diapering vs buying jumbo size packages of disposables as needed;
- buying new products vs used or home-made didn’t quite fit with our values.
Once we had done our research, we became excited about cloth diapering because it makes so much sense! The fabulous environmental and economic benefits aside, cloth diapering allows us to:
- support a local, planet/ people/pet-friendly company
- take responsibility for our waste
- facilitate elimination communication and toilet-training
- act as ambassadors for cloth diapering
- resell or gift our diapers when we’re finished with them
- buy quality products that connect us with a new community
Our decision to use cloth diapers was best supported by the resources offered New & Green, including the awesome information on the website, a helpful conversation with your team at Birthfest, the free demonstration DVD, and the workshops.
We’re excited about starting cloth diapering when we welcome our baby in June!
*The opinions expressed in this blog post are those of the contest entrant and do not necessarily reflect that of New & Green Baby Co. We wish to thank all of our contest entrants who graciously shared their stories to help further the education and support of families wishing to cloth diaper their children. Read more about our Earth Day 2010 Contest.