So you’re having twins. Congratulations!
Now, what are your diapering options?
There are some considerations for twins that I encourage parents to consider when looking at cloth diapering options:
- Size at birth: Twins are typically smaller than their singleton peers at birth. Here are some stats: an average 48% of multiples weigh at least 2500 gm (5lb-8oz). The average twin baby weighs about 2400-2500 gm (5lb 5oz- 5lb 8oz). The average triplet baby weighs about 1700-1800 gm (3lb 11oz- 4 lb). 10% of multiples weigh less than 1500 gm (3 lb).
- Caregivers: Will you have people helping you care for the babies and what is their experience with cloth diapers and/or how willing are they to learn how to use them?
- Routine: More than singletons, twins are more often on a feeding routine (every three hours for example) and this makes their diapering patterns more predictable. If you change the babies every three hours, you may not need the full 12 changes per day.
- Washing routine: The number of diapers you need is relative to how often you wash the diapers. I would suggest that you have 2-2.5 days worth of diapers to keep the sanity around the laundry room. You certainly could shorten or lengthen that cycle of washing, depending on your tolerance for washing.
- Because twins are typically smaller at birth, they often get a longer run out of their diapers. Babies that are born at 5lb 8oz and continue to grow on the same trajectory on their growth curve will reach 15lbs by 10 months. Babies born at just over 7lbs that continue to grow on the same curve reach 15lbs just prior to 5 months. (WHO growth curve birth-6m, girls). Typically newborn diapers will fit until babies are 12-15lbs. As with all diapers, it is important to use diapers that fit your baby well for their comfort and to increase function (ie no leaking). Because twins typically start at the bottom end of the size range of diapers, they often get a longer run out of them.
Recommendations for the newborn phase:
32-40 (8-10 changes per day per baby) newborn Organic Cotton Prefolds and 6-8 newborn Bummis Super Brite diaper covers (4-9lbs)
32-40 infant Organic Cotton Prefolds and 6-8 small Bummis Super Brite diaper covers (8-16lbs) – This could be the Bummis Prefold Box (includes accessories) with an additional 2-3 six packs of prefolds.
Easy to use, a notch up on the budget
Easy to use, another notch up on the budget, will fit up to 18lbs so will get a longer run; will need a “hack” to make it tinier in the first days (easy to do):
With any of these options above, I recommend that you either add on or switch out 6-12 diapers for an easy to use one step diaper such as:
FuzziBunz XS (4-12lbs)
TiniFit All in One Diapers (5-12lbs)
One step diapers are useful for out and about or when you simply want an “easier” diaper change.
Other Resources for you: